Saturday, December 4, 2010

Shabbat in Recoleta

Recoleta is one of Buneos Aires’ trendiest and most upscale neighborhoods. Along with its central location, I thought this would be the ideal place to stay. My hotel was also conveniently located down the block from the local Chabad house.

The Chabad Rabbi in Recoleta is a saint. Despite his originating from New York City, he sports a wide smile and exudes warmth. He led the Friday night services, which were followed by Kiddush. Then a group of us walked to his house for dinner. I met some really great people, and the food was fantastic.

Services in the morning were followed by a hot cholent Kiddush, and someone from the community invited me for lunch. Afterwards, I walked to Parque de las Ceres. The Buenos Aires equivalent of Central Park, it was full of sunbathers (there’s no beach in Buenos Aires), dog walkers, and noisy children. I did not feel out of place wearing my yamika and in fact passed several other religious Jews along the way. Trekking out further to Jardin Japones (the Japanese Gardens) turned out to be a disappointment. There is a $2 entrance fee and I was cashless, and I got lost on the way back. Exhausted, I finally staggered into Chabad for mincha, and stayed till havdala and the end of Shabbat.

No comments:

Post a Comment